Text: Psalm 128:1-4. Proverbs 1:7, 14:26-27.
To fear God is to recognise His awesomeness, greatness, authority, power, might, strength, resourcefulness, against our littleness, lowliness, frailty, powerlessness and therefore adore, revere, hold Him in very great esteem, in respect, awe,admiration, love, submission and obedience. It is not the kind of fear we express to our superiors because they could torment and make life difficult for us. The fear of the LORD is a reverential fear with love for God, coupled with trust, confidence, and hope in Him. It is to hate evil, pride, arrogance, and evil way; and when we choose to hate evil we align ourselves to God and rightly ascribe to Him all authority and power. It is a fountain of life and it helps us to depart from the snares of death.
The fear is not being afraid of Him but doing that which will bring pleasure to Him. It is to please Him always and dread of displeasing Him in any way or any form. It is to honour, to worship, and to love Him. It is a reverential fear that is expressed in obedience to His commands.
The Bible says the fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom. To fear God is a treasure therefore you are admonished not to miss the treasure. When you fear God in obedience, it leads you to true and genuine wisdom and understanding. A true Christian must be God fearing. It is being in a right state of heart toward God to reverentially obey and trust in Him. To fear God is obedience as demonstrated by Abraham in Gen 22:12 and when we fear Him we align ourselves with Him.
Let us examine some of the Bible statements on the fear of the LORD.
- Job 28:28, "And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding."
- Ps 2:11, "Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling."
- Ps 31:19a, "Oh, how great is thy goodness, which thou hast laid up for them that fear thee;"
- Ps 112:1, "Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who delights greatly in His commandments."
- Prov 1:7, "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge."
- Prov 15:16, "Better is little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and trouble there with."
- Prov 22:4, "By humility and the fear of the LORD are riches, and honour, and life.
- Isa 8:13, "Sanctify the LORD of hosts Himself; and let Him be your fear, and let Him be your dread."
- Isa 33:6b, "The fear of the LORD is His treasure."
- Lk 1:50, "And His mercy is on them that fear Him from generation to generation."
The fear of the LORD is well defined in the scriptures. Also, the scriptures establish that it is expedient for a Christian to fear the LORD (1 Peter 2:17).
When you fear the LORD, you derive many blessings as listed below:
- He will establish your family and household for you. Ex 1:21.
- He will teach you in the way that you shall choose. Ps 25:12.
- His secret will be with you and He will show you His covenant. Ps 25:14.
- His eyes will be upon you. Ps 33:18.
- You shall not be in want. Ps 34:9
- He will have pity on you. Ps 103:13.
- His mercy will be upon you. Ps 103:17.
- He will make sure you are blessed. Ps 128:1.
- He will fulfil your desire, hear your cry and save you. Ps 145:19.
- He will take pleasure in you. Ps 147:11.
- Your days will be prolonged. Prov 10:27.
- You shall not be visited with evil. Prov 19:23.
- You become His treasured possession. Mal 3:17.
Brethren, there are so many benefits you will derive when you fear GOD. Let it be your way of life. The fear of the LORD is one of the surest signs of true godliness acceptable to Him. Also, parents are admonished to bring up their children in the fear of the LORD in order that they will be able to stand and walk in the joy of the LORD. It is in His fear that you develop strong confidence. Brethren, it is for your own good to fear GOD.
Finally, you are reminded that, "The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death." Pro 14:27.
Prayer: O LORD, unite my heart for reverential fear of your name and help me to have a proper reverential fear of you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.