Text: Proverbs 2:6, 4:7, 14:1
A wise person is someone who applies God's word appropriately to situations; takes good decisions and gives good counsel to others. He has knowledge and increases in learning. He is a man of understanding. He keeps his heart with diligence.
Prov 4:7 says "wisdom is the principal thing, therefore get wisdom". Get it so that you can be wise. Wisdom is supreme. God, being wiser than the wiset, gives wisdom to people.
This is the beginning of a new year, let your decisions and resolutions be made with wisdom.
To be wise is to:
- Put God first in all things
- Fear Him and keep His commandments
- Do His will
- Do whatever you are doing as unto the Lord
- Turn from evil and do what is right
- Build your home on the solid rock of Christ
- Accept God's word and store it
- Love God and be faithful to Him
- Is not to give in to sin
- Listen to your father's instructions and do not forsake your mother's teachings
- Open all corners of your life to God's direction and guidance
- Acknowledge God in all your ways
- Pay your tithes and offering to avoid devourers
- Help the spiritually weak to be strong
- Care about heavenly things and get involved in kingdom activities
- Guide your salvation with fear and trembling
- Be able to control your tongue and put your body under subjection
- Win souls for God and preach the gospel to all nations
- Be merciful to yourself and others
- Be a builder and not a destroyer
Do not forget that I had earlier written that God gives wisdom, ask Him to give you and He will surely do.
Let us consider people like David, Daniel, Joseph, The Magi and the five virgins as examples of wise people in the Bible.
In Prov 4:4, king David encouraged Solomon, his son to seek wisdom so that he could be wise. In 1Kings 3:9, Solomon asked for wisdom above all things when he became the king so that he could successfully rule His people. God gave him wisdom and his reign was peaceful. I pray our worldly leaders and people in authority would ask God for wisdom so that they would rule better and peace will reign all over the world.
In Daniel 1:8, Daniel was wise hence he did not defile himself with the king's food and wine. He stood for God. I hope you will stand for God at all times and will not allow worldly pleasures to distract you.
In Gen 39:9, Joseph was wise not to allow Potiphar's wife to make him sin against God. Despite the temptation and seduction, Joseph did not yield. When you are being seduced by today's Potiphar's wife, remember sin is a reproach. Be wise not to fall into it.
In Matt 2:1, "The Magi" called the "Wise Men" sought Jesus out by following the star. They sought out Jesus, worshipped Him and in addition gave Him presents. Wisdom enables you to 'hunger and thirst after righteousness' and thus to seek him. Matt 5:6.
In Matt 25:1-7, out of the ten virgins waiting for the bridegroom, that is Jesus, only five were wise. They got everything ready to meet the bridegroom and they were able to enter with Him. Do not allow the cares of the world to prevent you from getting ready for the second coming of Christ. Nobody knows the time. Run your christian race to a successful end. Do not be lukewarm. Be hot for God. Will you be ready when He comes? Better be wise and be ready like the five virgins. You will not miss it in Jesus name. Amen
Prov 14:1 says "every wise woman buildeth her house but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands". Woman, please build your house the way the wise builds hers. Encourage your household to be heaven bound. May you be counted among the wise in Jesus name. Amen
Benefits of Divine Wisdom
- Enables you to take wise decisions - Prov 2:16
- Make you to know the right from wrong - Prov 2:9
- Enables you to understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God - Prov 2:5
- Enables you to store up knowledge - Prov 2:1
- Enables you to be thirsty for God and to seek Him
- Makes you to be a builder - Prov 14:1
- Lord, you said whatever we ask in your name you will give, I ask for divine wisdom so that I can be wise
- Lord, guide me in this new year to take wise decisions and resolutions
- Open my eyes to see all needs, in particular spiritual needs and grant me the grace to follow your foot-steps
- Guide me O Lord so that I will not stumble. In Jesus name I pray. AMEN